Identify what is most important )0( Eliminate everything else
The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. Dr. Paul Farmer
The suffering of others is not alleviated when no one knows about it.
There is no one right way to live. Daniel Quinn Ishmael
The only thing that you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right sort of people.
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be. Kurt Vonnegut

Saturday, December 29, 2012

planning

Apparently I am as stupid as I think myself to be.

A week ago Friday I was driving home from up'nort and about five miles from home the steering wheel began to shimmy.  I got groceries, just made it to my therapy appointment, went home and stayed there until yesterday when I had therapy again.  Too ill to even take the garbage out for collection.  Just hunkered down with CoolCat and napped and had lots of tea and meds.

When I got in the car to fetch more food, the steering wheel, heck, the whole column, was rotating back and forth, more than just the little shimmy from a week ago.  It reminded me that because I had to cancel the car tune-up appointment a month ago when I became sicker, I had better reschedule whilst I was still feeling a little better.

I called, chatted with my guy there and told him what needed doing and mentioned the steering wheel movement.  He told me to stop in before running any errands and when I got there he showed me the portions of the tires where the the steel fibers were showing and explained that he could not allow me to drive with that condition, that he would replace that worst tire and do the rest at my appointment on Wednesday and sent me to the waiting area.  I knew this was serious because they were really busy.

An hour later I had four new tires.  Great.  Super.  Super-duper.  Except that even though the family that owns this dealership have been good friends for more than thirty years, they have no idea of what this past year has brought me, so he put on the kind of tires that my ex used to put on the car he drove. 

I have been putting a little money away for this car work, but I never factored in new tires and the $700 bill he gave me before I left left me speechless.  I know these people.  I totally and completely trust them.  That is why I never go anywhere else.They have never led me astray, and I know, with absolute certainty that they put on top-of-the-line tires and charged me approximately half the price at which they are usually sold.

So, I am grateful.  I have so few resources that I am unreasonably frugal when it is not in my best interest to do so.  Whilst I am not sure how long I can afford to keep this car, I have to take care of it. Me=stupid.

The tires were essential.  Had I been paying attention, I would have clearly seen that they needed prompt replacing.  Had one of them failed I might have been responsible for hurting, or even killing, other people.  Me=super-stupid.

So, I did what any frugal-minded person would do.  I paid the bill and then went shopping.  I bought enough meat to have some every day for at least two weeks, depending on when I get may appetite back.  Until then I am going to eat better food.  All this time of not doing so has been poor, and yes stupid, behavior.  I do not know how long my resolve will last, but the tires issue has been a call to attention and I am hoping for much less personal stupidity for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment