Identify what is most important )0( Eliminate everything else
The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. Dr. Paul Farmer
The suffering of others is not alleviated when no one knows about it.
There is no one right way to live. Daniel Quinn Ishmael
The only thing that you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right sort of people.
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be. Kurt Vonnegut

Monday, October 15, 2012

from each according to his ability,

to each according to his need.

Dear Diary,

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

From Marx's Critique of the Gotha Program. Although I am not Marxist, it certainly a principle for social organization.  Certainly food for thought.  Certainly worth considering, especially when working with one's own issues, or when working with others and theirs.

The only reason this popped into my head is because I just found out that October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.  Really?  Yes.  interesting.  The only reason I know about it is because it was in a newsletter I receive from a Veteran's organization.  I work with veterans and I know a bit about PTSD because my brother came home from Vietnam with it, although it was not called that and no one knew about the whole thing, or at least if someone knew they were not sharing it with the rest of us.  He came home from Vietnam, but he actually died over there; only his walking, talking body came back.  He was not him, and none of us had any way to help him because there just was not.

Anyway, I know a bit about it, but I never connected it to my life until my therapist did.  And, now, today comes this newsletter that connects everything with everything.  Me, my work with veterans, my work in general, my brother (of whom I have not thought for some time).  My life before now.  Man.

Not only have I made a commitment to work on the whole recognizing and expressing healthy anger, but I have this opportunity to help tie a whole bunch of stuff together.  Lordy.

Anyway. 

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence

No comments:

Post a Comment