Identify what is most important )0( Eliminate everything else
The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. Dr. Paul Farmer
The suffering of others is not alleviated when no one knows about it.
There is no one right way to live. Daniel Quinn Ishmael
The only thing that you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right sort of people.
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be. Kurt Vonnegut

Friday, March 1, 2013

highroad

I may be taking the high road on the outside, but on the inside, I want your socks to be full of holes.
I want your undies to shrink.
I want your cable to stop working at the best part of the program.
I want your soup to be too salty.
I want the market to be out of your favorite foods.

I do not ever want you to know what it means to be cold every moment because you cannot afford to run the furnace.
I do not want you to have to count pennies to buy groceries.
I do not want you to be unable to see your daughter, your grandchildren, and their father because you cannot afford to put gas in the car.
I do not want you to never see your friends because of the same gas money issue.
I do not want you to live in the dark because having lights on at night makes you feel too vulnerable.
I do not want you to have had your sister make threats against your life.
I do not want you to be afraid to be outdoors when it gets dark.
I do not want you to experience the lack of love.
I do not want you to live in the kind of suffering you created for me for all of those years.
I do not want you to suffer the pain and loss of having every resource stolen from you because you finally had the courage...or maybe it was simply too much fear to stay...to leave.

I am taking the high road on the outside.
It is more difficult to do so on the inside, but I am working on that.

I live without anger towards anyone.
I am pleased to find ways to live with little money.
I am grateful to share my life with CoolCat.
I appreciate the moments when I can be with my friends.
I am more than grateful to have meaningful, productive and loving work.
I honor the life I now have, mostly because last year I escaped with my life intact.
I live the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment