Identify what is most important )0( Eliminate everything else
The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. Dr. Paul Farmer
The suffering of others is not alleviated when no one knows about it.
There is no one right way to live. Daniel Quinn Ishmael
The only thing that you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right sort of people.
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be. Kurt Vonnegut

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

limp

It is dark here and the temperatures are still in the 80s and no breezes from the lake.  I cannot imagine what that is about.  One of the things that this weather means is that doing anything physical is proving to be difficult, and all of that stuff received little attention today.

I have our little air conditioner on and CoolCat surely do appreciate the slightly drier air, but it is still too hot to even open any windows.  Ceiling fans are on.  Hot air is moving.  We have our own, safe home and a little discomfort is worth the opportunity to life here, in this exact place.

I have a big bag of bits and bobs and some stuff that is damaged or just plain useless.  That is going out in the garbage tonight.  One small space cleared.  Cool, although I have to be more ruthless about tossing or donating this stuff.  I also have to be more aggressive about getting this done, because it is my true intention to haul whatever is left unpacked out to the curb on Friday night.

I have had some more thoughts about the discovery and dealing with this stuff.  It is another step in the death of my old life.

Yeah.

Back to say that although the temperature inside is 83F, it is even warmer outside.  As I got the dishes going, I held my wrists under the flow of cold water and tried to remember what it was like when I was younger.  No air conditioning, no fans, nothing.  Even tap water was tepid during the summer.  Great for laundry, but not so much for quenching a middle-of-the-night thirst.  We managed, so I guess CoolCat and I can do the same.  Yeah.

This reminds me of the washing machine.  It was a lumbering, old, square wringer washer.  Between that and the mangle ironing machine, it is amazing that my mother and I survived to see the more modern age of household appliances with any of our fingers intact.  Those machines are still made, and whilst they do use much less water, they are insanely expensive, both used and new.

I have many pleasant memories of being in the basement, alone, running the washer, running the clothes through the wringer and hauling them outside to hang to dry.  The mangle was a beast and so hot during the summer, but in colder weather it was nice to sit down there and spray stuff with starch and feed all of the linens and clothes between the roller and the heating pad.  Lots of nice memories amongst the not so nice.  Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment